History

Our History

Portside Baptist Church History

Portside Baptist Church held its first Worship Service on July 13, 1952 and was officially organized as Park Circle Baptist Church on July 20, 1952 with Fifty-Five Charter Members.  In October 1952, The Church was accepted into the Charleston Baptist Association with Seventy-One Charter Members.  Park Circle Baptist Church sponsored its first Church on the Island of Bermuda in 1957.  Various parcels of property near Remount Road and North Rhett Avenue were purchased between 1952 & 1958.  We changed our name to Portside Baptist Church in October 1981.

We broke ground in January 1960 for our current Sanctuary, which was dedicated in May 1960.  A Kindergarten was established in 1960.  Our Pre-School building was built in 1972 and our Fellowship Hall was built in 1980.  Our steeple was donated and installed in 1985.  The original Fellowship Hall was remodeled into an education space following the addition of a new Fellowship Hall in June 2003.

Founded with an emphasis on a fellowship of caring, we have sponsored a wide variety of Church & Community Activities and Ministries over the years, including:

  • Established the Riverbend Mission in Lambs Elementary School in 1959
  • Established the Religious Educational Aid Fund in 1959
  • Established a Kindergarten in 1960
  • Sponsored joint Thanksgiving Services with Remount Baptist Church, Aldersgate United Methodist Church and Yeaman’s Park Presbyterian Church in 1968
  • Conducted a Sewing Ministry 1971 – 1978
  • Established Seaman’s Ministry under the Charleston Baptist Association in 1978
  • Youth Group Mission Trip to Maulden, West Virginia in 1978, resulting in the establishment of a Southern Baptist Church
  • Established “Deacon Family Ministry” program in 1978
  • Started a Spanish Bible Study in 1981
  • Began a Prison Ministry at Charleston Navy Brig in 1990
  • Mission Trip to Romania in September 2000
  • Started “The Net” visitation and outreach program in January 2002
  • Several annual live productions of “The Living Lord’s Supper” and Talent Shows
  • Started Annual Easter Sunrise Services at the Park Circle Gazebo in April 2004; Several different churches participate in the event each year
  • Youth Group presented a Dinner Theater in 2007, “Pirate Island – Tale of the Torn Map” with several Youth and Parents participating in the play
  • Started Annual Fall Festival in 2009 as a safe, Christian alternative to traditional Halloween activities
  • Annual “Christmas Cantata” performances by the Choir started in 2015; open to the public for both the Morning Service and the Sunday Evening Performances
  • Hosted the Imani Milele Children’s Choir in 2016 & 2017
  • Sponsored the planting of a new church, Gracia-Grace Church, a predominantly Spanish Speaking congregation, under the auspices of the Southern Baptist Convention in 2017; our first combined service was held in March 2017